Historic Hotel in Dublin - A Little History
The Victorian age in Ireland is characterised by improvements of the infrastructure of the country: harbours and ports, lighthouses, bridges and roads. It saw the creation of an extensive railway system, the founding of the University Colleges in Belfast, Cork and Galway; the building of hospitals and schools and the growth of our cities.
Just a five minute stroll from St. Stephen’s Green, in the heart of fashionable Dublin 2, the building that has now evolved to become The Wilder was originally constructed circa 1878, during the Victorian era, the same period that Oscar Wilde resided in Dublin. Its original use was a “Home for Retired Governesses” and there is also historical reference to it being a “Home for Bewildered Women”. The beautiful red brick façade is typical of the period and can be seen in many parts of Victorian Dublin. An extension was built to the north east (c.1895), with a further extension to the east (c.1930). In more recent years property was used both as a Retirement Home and an Artists’ Studio. Harcourt Terrace was home to many well-known faces over the years, including the actors and founders of The Gate Theatre, Micheal MacLiammoir and Hilton Edwards.
In 2016 the property was purchased and given a new lease of life by current owners Frankie & Josephine Whelehan and it re-opened its doors as The Wilder Townhouse in 2018.